Thursday, July 10, 2014

Summertime Bliss!

   Update:  For those of you who are interested in the *Hand Painted Wedding Gown Portraits I've updated the Gallery on this website to include more samples of the dresses. 
    Check out the Gallery!   A keepsake wedding dress portrait would make a unique Christmas gift for the lady who has everything.  Contact me at fcscyndie@bellsouth.net
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  This summer has been such a peaceful and joyful time!  I have had time to work on projects that have been on the "back burner" for quite sometime.  I'm a list making person and to finally scratch off things brings joy to my heart!
     Today I made Fig Preserves for the first time in my life!  My mother was the "Queen of the Kitchen" making delicious seasonal preserves and jams.  Sadly, it comes a time when we have to step up to the plate and learn to do things on our own.  I must say that I was successful in making the preserves even though they are a tad short of a home run (missing Mom's loving touch).  Recipe below:

Fig Preserves  

16 cups fresh figs                     7 cups of white sugar
4 cups water                             1 lemon, sliced

Directions:
1. Wash figs in cold water
2. Place in a large bowl or in a clean sink, cover with water and soak for 20 minutes
3. Make syrup by boiling the 4 cups of water and 7 cups of sugar for 10 minutes in a very large   pot.
4. Add figs and lemon slices to the syrup and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally
5. Pour figs into hot, sterilized jars and spoon syrup over figs, leaving 1/2 inch of head space.  Top jars with lids and screw bands on tightly. 
6. Enjoy with your family--great on hot biscuits!  Great thoughtful gifts!

     Have a blissful day!

     

No comments:

Post a Comment